CASOS News 2013
- Faculty Kathleen Carley becomes an IEEE Fellow. You can read about it on IEEE's website
- The Summer Institute was held from June 9 - 16.
- In July 2013, CASOS Ph.D. graduate Ian McCulloh's new book, Social Network Analysis with Applications will be published and sold. It will feature ORA as its primary network analysis tool. The book is also co-authored by Prof. Helen Armstrong and Anthony Johnson. The book is published by John Wiley & Sons, you can visit the book's website here: [Link]
- Kathleen M. Carley, Invited Plenary, 5/2013 "Crisis Mapping: Big Data from a Dynamic Network Analytic Perspective," World Summit on Big Data and Organization Design, Paris, Fr.
- CASOS Ph.D. student Peter Landwehr and Prof. Kathleen Carley's work was recently published in Simulation & Gaming. You can read a short review of its contents and the link between using issues in games to solve real-world problems. The paper is linked in our publications section. Link
- Recently on an aired edition of 60 Minutes, CASOS software ORA was shown on televesion as the software used to track domestic drug dealers in Springfield, MA in a collaboration between the local police department and a Harvard engineering class. The segment is titled "Counterinsurgency Cops: Military tactics fight street crime." You can watch the video on the 60 Minutes website: Link
- CASOS Professor Jürgen Pfeffer and Dave Columbus (former CASOS staff) recently wrote an unrefereed paper analyzing the past 50 years of the BBC television show "Doctor Who." Their work was recently published in a fan magazine, Whotopia (pdf), and it looked at networks of characters within the show using CASOS tools.
- Kathleen M. Carley, invited Plenary, 3/2013 "Dynamic Network Approach to Health Surveillance," PACOM S&T 2013, Honolulu, HI
- Recent work by Dr. Kathleen M. Carley and CASOS researcher Jon Storrick in conjunction with Columbia University's Dr. Jackie Merrill is cited in Public Health System News. The work also